Sunday, May 16, 2021

A Weed by Any Other Name

 My yard is currently covered in these:

And also these: 

It is literally covered in dandelions

 in various stages of birth, growth and death.

They are beautiful.

I looked up the definition of  'weed' and found it to be simply this:

"A weed is any plant out of place."

These particular plants do no harm to their surrounding environment.

And, for example, they can be harvested for both food and medicine.

Every part of the dandelion is edible.


So it's not so much that these plants have no intrinsic value,

but the fact that they are displaced and plentiful makes them unwanted.

Valueless.

 
 When I think back over my life I can remember times where I have also been a dandelion:

Wild, prolific, plentiful and.... out of place. 

Rich in resources, but unharvested and therefore unappreciated. 

In that way, we are kin...me and the dandelions.

 So today I am paying a little tribute to this beautiful spring rose.


No comments:

Post a Comment